It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Drinking and Eating - Annoyance?

Post subject: Drinking and Eating - Annoyance?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 am 
Global Moderator

So I'm finding the need to drink and eat constantly during long sessions... annoying. Sure it is realistic, but so are other things that we allow our characters to just take for granted without worrying about doing them as a player (such as using the restroom after eating). Does anyone else feel the same way about this? I'm debating either the removal of the system, leaving the system as is, or perhaps replacing it with a newer and more interesting system (possibly optional).

Opinions and comments, por favor.

Post subject: Re: Drinking and Eating - Annoyance?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:07 am 

Maybe we can use the drinking water to refresh a bit of movement points and with the quest flask you can use it to fill different liquids that give different types of boost.

So for example, if there is a Fountain of Mana, you could fill your flask to enable you three gulps of mana instead of buying 30 pots if you do not have the money. Of course different types of fountains can be purchased by the alliance to provide different sort of boost.

For example the different types of liquid you could have:

1. Water - Movement points
2. Milk - Hit points
3. Alcohol - Mana points
4. Elixir - Cures abit of all the points

And to add a bit more spice to the game mechanics, you could place certain hard to find fountains in areas with really tough mobs, once you kill the mob you will only be able to fill your quest flask with the liquid in the fountain. Within these fountains, the boost should be really unique and you can only drink it three times before you have to kill the mob and refill again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:31 pm 

I would be in favour of at least keeping eating optional, as well as getting drunk, just to make it RP wise more interesting (we had some good post-wedding parties in the past!).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:22 pm 

Well, i think regen in this game is awful. For any player new or old. Why not change food and drink to Mana/Hp/moves over time. This would be attainable by turning them into a HoT type spell type and duration dependent on type of food or drink, and only works while resting. that way pk would be unaffected. Regen is both boring, annoying. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm 

I love Zara's idea. It would get rid of the pointlessness of eating/drinking in the game while adding something fun and potentially useful. Maybe have the ability to buy different flasks with the different liquid types. (Given the ease of getting aqp I'd suggest they be expensive.) I'd also suggest that since someone could heal rapidly by just sitting there and chugging (which is hardly rp) there be a maximum kinda like the current drinking system where you can't just chug and chug without being full. Maybe more than 3 drinks though (or not, depending on how much each drink heals).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 am 

Perhaps alchemy may be something worthy to consider to replace traditional drinking/eating with?

Populate the map with different kinds of plants at random location based on terrain, some rare some common and reactivate the alchemy spell, but rebuild the spell to put to a better use with this approach.

Ingredients to explore to find a better combination of effects to boost efficiency in combat and survival. Of course there would have to be some form of negation put in place to balance the effects a player would receive...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 am 

I'm in favour of removing the damage that happens if you don't eat/drink for long enough, but the slower regen makes sense; if you are too dumb to eat/drink, you should pay the price :p

I do like zaragoth's idea, but yeah, definitely it would need some sort of timer on how often it could be used. Maybe it could add an affect to the affects list when you take a drink, one that can't be overridden by recasting the way most of them can now. (like protections or affinities) Then the drink could add anything, or just have a null effect to prevent spamming it for full heals or whatever.

I also like dormin's adea, though that's totally different than what we are discussing here, I think. If you've ever played Morrowind, take a look at the alchemy system there. Basically, you can gather a bunch of ingredients from plants, dead animals, minerals, etc, and then you can brew them with alchemy equipment. There were several tiers of equipment, so that the potions you made changed in quality based on what you used to make it. You could mix up to 4 ingredients together, and there were probably dozens of ingredients, so there were a lot of combinations to play around with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm 

I like Zara's idea but it also makes me think the "Endless Flask" would actually end. So unless it stayed full until you tried to fill it up with something else or you had different flasks for different types of fountains, then I'm not really keen on changing the quest flask to this.

I do like the idea of making more quest flasks with the different types of liquid boosts and charging more for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm 
Global Moderator

Time to necro a thread. This will be changing in the next couple of days. For now, I think the punishments for not eating/drinking will simply be removed. Food/liquid/flasks/etc. will all remain in the game until another game mechanic is added around them. In short, removing the annoyance as a temporary solution until a proper feature is fleshed out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 pm 

What about the players who bought 'Gloin's endless flask'? Will they be able to trade it in for a full refund of quest points?

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next