It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Adept Level 10 Perk

Post subject: Re: Adept Level 10 Perk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm 
Global Moderator

Time for some specifics... anything said here is not set in stone. Anything can change during testing, etc. This is more to feed curiosity than anything else.

I'll only be listing ones that are complete here... maybe the next post will have the upcoming ones.

Barbarian
  • barrier of blades - parry/dual-parry bonus while using a sword in the respective hand
  • decapitate - chance to insta-kill target that works best when they are at a low health percentage (similar to gaping wounds spell) and 0% chance if the target is at 20% health or better
  • improved disarm - improves chance to disarm
  • rampage - does a double bladefury
  • savage might - can wield a 2 handed weapon in 1 hand (primary weapon only)
  • shield break - pugil has a chance to damage a shield (any item w/ a condition dropped to 0 is auto-removed and can't be reused until repaired)
  • vicious counter - if dual wielding, any time one attempts to counter, they will attempt to hit with both weapons instead of just the primary

BladeMaster
  • asymmetry - While dual wielding, if your primary weapon is over twice the weight of your secondary weapon than your melee damage increases and your parry chance decreases
  • balance - effects from bash/lash/trip/earthquake/etc. don't last as long
  • blade symmetry - circle damage increases if using swords (not as high as daggers, but higher than any other weapon)
  • blindfighting - certain melee skills that were previously impossible to use in combat while blind will work (while blind) but with a lower effectiveness than normal
  • cripple - improved hamstring (additional dex modifier, longer duration of hamstring affect, and drops victim's movement) .... NOTE: hamstring is a new thief skill, and those affected by hamstring will have a harder time with dodge/phase/etc.
  • decapitate - see barbarian
  • deflect arrow - additional chance to avoid an archer's fire
  • improved disarm - see barbarian
  • poisonous strike - regular melee hit, between rounds, but if it hits then it poison is applied in a large amount (approximately the same as 12 normal melee hits that each apply poison)
  • weapon honing - greater chance for sharp/vorpal damage bonus per hit

BattleMage
  • acid aura - all melee damage from your group is changed to acid damage
  • devour magic - while active, any magical damage dealt to the affected is absorbed by their staff (if they are wearing one), causing the staff some damage but reducing the damage to the player
  • flame aura - similar to acid aura
  • frost aura - similar to acid aura
  • mental awareness - lets you know if you are the target of scry or soul search
  • sap blade - (automatic) anytime a weapon with the vampiric flag on it leechs hp, some mana will also be leeched
  • shock aura - similar to acid aura
  • staff break - spell that damages the target's staff. if the staff's condition drops to 0, it cannot be used until repaired

Paladin
  • aura of agility - increases movement, hitroll, and dex
  • aura of courage - increases hit points and con
  • aura of fury - increases damroll and str
  • aura of healing - heal over time
  • aura of mysticism - more likely to break saves when casting spells
  • aura of protection - decreases saves and AC
  • aura of rejuvenation - regular healing (sleeping/resting/etc) is tripled
  • aura of wit - increases mana, wis, and int
  • bandage - heals randomly (average of once a minute) for a large amount of hp... if at any point the affected are at 100+ % health, the bandage disappears
  • divine armor - decreases AC
  • divine mastery - increases holy/mental/negative damage, alignment dependent
  • fortitude - doubles healing rate for regular healing (sleeping,resting,etc.) [can stack with aura of rejuvenation]
  • healing mastery - increases healing spells
  • shield break - see barbarian

Sage
  • earthquake - damage was increased, and has a lash like affect
  • fog - room affect that prevents anyone in the room from being the target of scry
  • mental awareness - see battlemage
  • undergrowth - room affect that increases entangle/ensnare damage
  • wild growth - enhances entangle/ensnare affect, so that it will hit the target every round (in addition to the normal damage that is dealt on attempts to flee)
  • wood mastery - damage increase for any wooden attacks (wood weapons, arrows, etc.)

Druid
  • aura of rejuvenation - see paladin
  • bandage - see paladin
  • divine hand - increases chance to parry/dual-parry (as long as divine spells are active)
  • fog - see sage
  • healing mastery - see paladin
  • undergrowth - see sage
  • wild growth - see sage
  • wood mastery - see sage

Rogue
  • asymmetry - see blademaster
  • balance - see blademaster
  • blade symmetry - see blademaster
  • cripple - see blademaster
  • evade - chance to dodge area attack spells (enflame, blizzard, earthquake, etc.)
  • odds of survival - increases circle damage if the rogue is under 25% health
  • poison adeptness - increases any form of poison damage dealt by the rogue
  • poisonous strike - see blademaster
  • retreat - flee in a chosen direction
  • roguish reflexes - bonus to parry/dual-parry while using daggers

Warlock
  • blink - if all other defenses (dodge/parry/etc.) fail, blink attempts to use magic to teleport a short distance away, enough to effectively dodge the attack
  • blood imp - weak summon that boosts the groups hit point total (does not count towards summon cap) [can only be summoned near blood]
  • decoy - sets up a magical decoy image, causing your opponent to not know which to attack, and thus directing some of the damage towards the decoy (in gameplay terms, a forcewall that only works half the time)
  • mystic imp - similar to blood imp but for mana, and needs to be summoned near magical springs
  • sap blade - see battlemage

Necromancer
  • animate - moved here.. wizards can already summon whatever they want
  • awaken dead - zombies can be much better than before, depending on the corpse
  • bone armor - levitate a pile of bones (see skeleton below) to swirl around the necromancer, absorbing physical damage
  • leech - anything the necromancer is leeching off of will give up half of any magical healing it receives to the leech (the necromancer)
  • skeleton - summon that (through combat) gets damaged and splinters (over time) to create piles of bones to supply other necromancer spells
  • taint ground - imagine "cast curse room"

Sorcerer
  • arcane conjuring - all summons (non-dragon) get a +10 level boost
  • conjure - same as it was for wizards, and it does not count towards the summon cap
  • healing mastery - see paladin
  • inexorable casting - further boosts the effect that a large mana pool has on breaking saves
  • internal focus - lowers the mana cost of all spells
  • malediction mastery - malediction spells (curse, slow, etc.) get a duration boost
  • staff break - see battlemage

There are still 11 currently planned spells/skills to go, some unique to 1 class, others shared. Each class has this many more spells/skills to look forward to (that are currently planned):

Necromancer - 4
BladeMaster - 2
BattleMage - 2
Sorcerer - 2
Barbarian - 1
Paladin - 1
Sage - 1
Warlock - 1
Rogue - 0
Druid - 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:29 am 

Well, it's hard to tell just from descriptions, but the sorcerer ones are looking a lot stronger than when I tested the four done at the time (HM, IF, MM, MA were done). I'm definitely looking forward to Arcane Conjuring, the new Conjure, and Inexorable casting, though the last two will depend heavily on the specifics. Staff break sounds rather weak, just because anyone whose staff breaks can just wield another one, (unless blind) which is the same issue Disarm has always had, along with the new Shield Break. I'd complained earlier that sorcerer looked weak when I tested it, and it was, but the ones that have been added since I tested (with the exception of Staff break, which sounds weak) look like they will be the three best ones sorcerer gets, and I'm no longer contemplating a recreate from priest to something else :p (unless one of the other classes gets something absolutely amazing as one of their last skills, like maia summon, lol)

It's hard to comment on the other skills, since I've only seen a few of them, but a lot of the descriptions sound pretty good. A lot of it will depend on the math behind the skills. (like warlock for instance, just how good/lousy will the blood/mystic imps be, or how often certain abilities like decapitate trigger)

I will comment on a few that seem a bit weak, though:
-Shield Break/Improved Disarm/Staff Break: Players can just rewear/wield a second shield/staff for these, unless blinded, though against mobs they will be more useful, particularly shield break, as it provides a way to do something that currently doesn't exist
-Mental Awareness: I still don't see the point of giving this out, especially to classes that have Mirror of Morgoth. Maybe if it also detected Windlore, or a nonwizard had this, but even then it doesn't seem very good

One other thing: for the Warlock 'blink', is that basically like another dodge/phase type skill, or does the 'teleport' thing mean you will actually move into a nearby room? Because I could see that getting extremely annoying if it triggered when you didn't want it to :p So if it's the second way, perhaps have a way to disable it when not wanted, or have it be a spell you cast rather than a passive skill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 am 
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's hard to comment on the other skills, since I've only seen a few of them, but a lot of the descriptions sound pretty good. A lot of it will depend on the math behind the skills. (like warlock for instance, just how good/lousy will the blood/mystic imps be, or how often certain abilities like decapitate trigger)

I was vague on some of the exact numbers since for a lot of the testing I have done, I simply made sure that the skill/spell worked as expected. As for whether something happens too often, or not enough, etc... those are numbers that are much easier to tweak effectively in the final testing when adept classes are being tested on the whole (instead of looking at each spell/skill individually). And specifically for the imps, I don't think any amount can really be a bad (in a negative way) since the imps don't count towards the summon cap... it's basically free hp or mana (at the casters choice). Oh... and like auras, 2 warlocks can use separate imps effectively, but 2 blood imps will not provide any bonus over a single blood imp (unless you're PKing and one dies or something).

Quote:
-Shield Break/Improved Disarm/Staff Break: Players can just rewear/wield a second shield/staff for these, unless blinded, though against mobs they will be more useful, particularly shield break, as it provides a way to do something that currently doesn't exist

I completely agree.. the largest pitfall of these skills/spells is that they can just be re-worn/replaced (at least in PK). Disarming may be alright, since going even 1 round without a weapon in PK can be deadly (especially against a Barbarian or BladeMaster). Also, it will make mage spell damage weaker if you disarm a staff... but as far as shield break and staff break... I'm still trying to think up a legitimate solution that allows the target to do something to correct the issue without making the spell/skill totally useless. Suggestions welcome... (only thing I have really thought of was a timer that wouldn't allow anything to be worn for X seconds, but that seems anti-RP).

Quote:
-Mental Awareness: I still don't see the point of giving this out, especially to classes that have Mirror of Morgoth. Maybe if it also detected Windlore, or a nonwizard had this, but even then it doesn't seem very good

Windlore is supposed to have the RP that people leave traces/tracks/scents/etc. around the area they are in, so you can sense they are there... also, mirror is going to be changing (post adept changes) to be based on saves instead of a flat 40% reflect rate, so this was added to the list with that in mind (and because it was a suggested skill and I thought "what could it hurt" :p).

Quote:
One other thing: for the Warlock 'blink'....

Blink is just like dodge in concept except it will cost mana each time it is used (I believe it's like 10 mana or something ridiculously small). It is passive, just like dodge is. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:34 pm 

Improved disarm can be quite nasty, especially against a warrior, since bash will go through regardless of whether or not a weapon is wielded, and also against anyone who is blind. If it makes disarm more reliable in PK, then it needs no further work.

Shield break, I think, will be completely dependent on whether or not a warrior is willing to use pugil in PK, which I highly doubt. It could, however, be useful against mobs with shield slam, especially if they're noblind and switch targets.

Staff break is iffy, though, and the only RP I can come up with is that it could burn the player's hands and render them unable to wield anything for 5 seconds or so. I doubt it will be worth using, though, except to piss someone off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 am 
Global Moderator

Time for another update... as of the time of this post, the following spells/skills have been added and minimally tested:

Barbarian
  • battlecry - gives a hitroll and damroll boost to any group member in the same room at the time of the cry

Sage
  • defensive nature - if undergrowth has been cast in the room, the sage uses a small amount of mana to cause the vines to parry attacks (passive, similar to blink but requires undergrowth)
  • thicket - blocks a specified exit for 1-2 minutes

Necromancer
  • necromantic calling - castable on any mob that isn't over 5% life. on death, it spawns as a lower level minion of the necromancer (*currently* caps at 3 minions, excluded from the summon cap)
  • dark pact - any undead followers (zombies from awaken dead OR minions) will lose life every couple of seconds, as the necromancer gains life
  • bone wall - uses a pile of bones (from a skeleton, like bone armor does) to block a specified exit for 1-2 minutes

Paladin
  • divine shield - bonus to shield block % and changes the blunt damage of shield slam into holy/negative/mental damage (alignment dependent)

Druid
  • circle of life - when a valid mob (much higher level) or valid PC (a few abuse checks are implemented) dies within the same room as the druid, the druid gains up to 10% of their own HP back

Sorcerer
  • raw energy - Huge damage spell, single target, uses between 1 and 100% of the caster's mana (amount is decided by the sorcerer). The more mana used, the more damage that is dealt, and the more likely it is to backfire on them (damage themselves).

Still planned:

• impair (BladeMaster) - stops combat, victim is paralyzed for a short duration, any damage caused to the victim brings them out of the impaired state
  • imbue (BattleMage) - imbues their weapon with an offensive spell, which prevents them from removing the weapons themself, and releases the spell (no additional lag/mana cost) the next time the weapon strikes a target << cooldown timer >>
  • ward armor (BattleMage & Sorcerer) - same as imbue but for a piece of armor, triggers when they get hit (defensive)
  • shadowcast/shadowmeld (BladeMaster,Necromancer,Rogue,Warlock) - prevents the player from being the target of scry, showing up on windlore, or showing up on scan. if the player enters combat, it disappears.
  • impale (Sage) - if targetted by a bash, the sage attempts to control the undergrowth around them to cause a large branch to impale the basher (bash fails, basher takes damage). note: this requires undergrowth to be in the room

For the time being, that's all that is currently on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 am 
Global Moderator

Added 3 more onto the list for BattleMage:
  • phantom sword - spell that does slash damage
  • phantom dagger - spell that does pierce damage
  • phantom club - spell that does blunt damage

Names may change if I hear any better suggestions before the changes go live.

Also, the only skills/spells that still have to be finished, as of the time of this post, are 'impair' and 'shadowmeld'.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:13 pm 
Global Moderator

Issues have arose in both shadowmeld and impair. For that, I will postpone them until a later date. We can now consider the spells/skills in their final testing stages, where we are looking at balance, etc.

Anyone interested in testing (adepts or those close to it), feel free to let me know. I'll be bringing up the test port often for testing, so just ask. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm 

Hey suland, I was just thinkg why is there no skill in rogue that would benefit archery?? Like Poison tipped arrows, thats a pretty big thing considering that im sure a Rogue would poison their arrows. Now, to make this class look more legit maybe the addiction of archery type modifiers in rogue would enable the class to be explored. So the basic idea, poison damage added to archery, how ever you would wanna tackle this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
Global Moderator

Arkk wrote:
Hey suland, I was just thinkg why is there no skill in rogue that would benefit archery?? Like Poison tipped arrows, thats a pretty big thing considering that im sure a Rogue would poison their arrows. Now, to make this class look more legit maybe the addiction of archery type modifiers in rogue would enable the class to be explored. So the basic idea, poison damage added to archery, how ever you would wanna tackle this.

I agree, and Rogue is exactly where that would go. It will require a rewrite of our damage system, however, in order to make that work smoothly, and I'll have to revamp arrows somehow to allow for arrow flags (or a sloppy hack to just allow it to work with poison and flaming arrows and nothing else). Anyways, this is something I plan to do, but I do not think it is worth doing before the current spells/skills go live.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator

During testing, a couple of things have come up.

1) I had long ago decided to add another battlemage spell which I forgot about until a battlemage tested out the class:
[*] Offhand Channeling - Can use a staff as a secondary weapon instead of as a primary and still get the full staff channeling bonuses.

2) I looked at warlocks and felt that the class was pitiful. It has some very interesting and useful things, but it just wasn't enough. I decided to add two more abilities to them (one melee based, the other not).
[*] Majestic Accuracy - If critical strike fails to land, for a small mana cost this attempts to hit critical strike anyways (10% chance of working). It is passive.
[*] To Be Determined - Ideas are still percolating, and if anyone has a good idea, let me know.

Page 2 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next